Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Rosa Parks, We Salute You!

By Roy Donkin

Rosa Parks died on Monday at age 92. The obituaries say that she was shy and quiet... an ordinary woman... who did an extraordinary thing and changed the world. In 1955 she refused to give up her seat. My guess is that she was tired and her feet hurt and she was tired of deferring.

She shows me that an ordinary person with courage to do what is right can make a difference. A little black woman on a bus in 1955 changed the world. So can you. So can I. So must you. So must I.

Thank you for your courage Sister Rosa. You are an inspiration.

One thing on which all American Baptists should be able to agree would be the crucial role played by Rosa Parks as an icon for civil rights. I am including this post from a friend's blog because it captures the gratitude most of us feel for the historical role she played in this difficult period of our history.

1 comment:

Tommy said...

La Shawn Barber has a most comprehensive compilation of links and tributes to Miss Parks. http://lashawnbarber.com/archives/2005/10/25/rosaparks/.

I have also a brief tribute in Blessings & Other Stuff, www.tommarker.blogspot.com